James Hardie Plant Controller in Cleburne, Texas
The Plant Controller is responsible for providing comprehensive financial leadership in our Cleburne, Teaxas plant. The Plant Controller functions as the leading accounting professional in the plant and is responsible for the accurate reporting of results and maintenance of the company’s assets, through balance sheet integrity and providing a rigorous control environment. The plant controller also serves as the business partner to the Plant Manager to focus largely on providing financial and operational leadership and improvements, including identifying and driving cost reductions. The Plant Controller has a team that consists of a combination of Assistant Controller, Cost Accountants, Production Clerks, and Plant Buyers.
*Will provide some relocation assisstance to strong candidate not currently in the DFW area*
Accountable for ensuring balance sheet integrity, Sarbanes-Oxley compliance, and fostering a strong control environment in the plant by: (30%)
• Managing a complete and thorough month end close process
• Ensuring full compliance and improvement to site Sarbanes-Oxley requirements
• Being a strong example of integrity and ‘Doing the Right Thing’
• Noting and appropriately mitigating business risks
• Proactively seeking and improving any deficiencies
• Set the proper routines to ensure proper controls
Functions as a business partner with the Plant Manager to effectively manage and control all facets of the plant’s efficiency and productivity by: (40%)
• Framing financial and operational issues in a complete business case format and positively contributing to the strategic direction in the plant;
• Driving negotiations with key vendors either directly or via partnering with procurement;
• Leading and/or participating in presentations to plant employees, plant management,
• Managing multiple manufacturing production lines;
• Accepting responsibility for plant accounting operations as well as financial and operations management
• Adhering to sound internal control processes.
Manages others by providing ongoing development, mentoring, and strong learning experiences by: (15%)
• Overseeing a team of four to six employees;
• Providing effective leadership to staff, direct reports, and others in the Company to improve their performance and directing their career development;
• Developing and training Plant Accountants for progression into greater roles;
• Training and developing line staff to ensure that their work is progressing as desired in the areas of proper collection, calculation, and reporting of cost, production, inventory, and other financial information; and
• Managing plant performance on improvement goals and KPI’s;
Provides operational financial reporting, financial analysis and manufacturing cost analysis by: (15%)
• Driving operational improvements, including development, implementation, and maintenance;
• Preparing, coordinating, and processing financial forecasting and planning requirements;
• Monitoring financial performance to identify and drive cost reductions;
• Serving as project manager on cost reduction initiatives, working cross functionally with engineers, procurement, and plant operators to drive cost reductions;
• Preparing and managing actual, forecast, and budget scenarios throughout the course of the year;
• Analyzing and interpreting plant operation results, evaluating variances, and assessing the effects on the plant’s operations;
• Performing month-end closing, reporting, and plant financial statement analyses;
• Providing daily, weekly and monthly reports for plant and corporate management;
• Providing management with the strategic tools and reports to drive business results;
• Performing lease/purchase analysis using Net Present Value (NPV), Internal Rate of Return (IRR) and payback measurements.
• Coordinating with the engineering group on capital purchase analysis (NPV, IRR, payback);
• Delegating day-to-day accounting activities to the Cost Analyst and other accounting staff as appropriate; and
• Performing standard cost accounting, inventory management, and labor reporting, and timekeeping duties.
• Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or a related field (CPA/ MBA preferred).
• 8 or more years of cost accounting/operations experience.
• 5 or more years of leadership/management experience.
• ERP systems software (SAP preferred).
Position Requirements, Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required:
• Demonstrated knowledge of Financial Analysis processes and procedures within a manufacturing environment.
• Exceptional knowledge of GAAP and Sarbanes Oxley.
• Demonstrated knowledge of operational accounting (cost accounting, including project costing.)
• Demonstrated ability to successfully apply forecasting techniques and skills to develop and evaluate business goals and strategies, analyze information to derive insights and implications to initiate planning and/or re-planning, and controlling actual results versus budget.
• Extensive “shop floor” experience in a manufacturing environment (not just assembly).
• Results-oriented to ensure delivery of appropriate products and services in an accurate, complete, and timely fashion.
• Business acumen to elicit trust and credibility with all levels of the organization.
• Demonstrated experience and ability in compiling annual operating plans and budgets.
• Extensive experience with fixed asset and capital project tracking.
• Excellent analytical and decision-making skills.
• Demonstrated ability to manage multiple concurrent assignments while meeting deadlines and demanding quality execution.
• Demonstrated ability to effectively take action to solve problems while exhibiting sound judgment and successful stress tolerance.
• Proven track record directing external resources to manage and execute effectively.
• Demonstrated advanced skills with the standard features of various personal computer word processing and spreadsheet software (Microsoft Word and Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Internet, pivot tables & V Lookups, and other financially-related and proprietary software).
• Teamwork/Collaboration expertise with significant experience in team/project-oriented activities.
• Superior interpersonal and written/oral communication skills with the ability to relate well and cooperate with others to effectively coordinate activities and accomplish goals.
• Ability to communicate cost and financial information to all levels across the business.
• Ability to travel 10%.
• Willingness to relocate is an important job consideration.
• Strategic Decision Making : Obtaining information and identifying key issues and relationships relevant to long-range goal or vision; committing to a course of action to accomplish a long-range goal or vision after developing alternatives based on logical assumptions, facts, available resources, constraints, and organizational values.
• Building Partnerships : Identifying opportunities and taking action to build strategic relationships between one’s area and other areas, teams, departments, units, or organizations to help achieve business goals.
• Negotiation : Effectively exploring alternatives and positions to reach outcomes that gain the support and acceptance of all parties.
• Management of Results : Achieving outstanding results through the effective use of
capital, processes, and human capabilities.
• Planning and Organizing : Establishing courses of action for self and others to ensure that work is completed efficiently.
• Formal Presentation : Presenting ideas effectively (including nonverbal communication and use of visual aids) to individuals or groups when given time to prepare; delivering presentations suited to the characteristics and needs of the audience.
• Adaptability : Maintaining effectiveness when experiencing major changes in work tasks or the work environment; adjusting effectively to work within new work structures, processes, requirements, or cultures.
• Aligning Performance for Success : Focusing and guiding others in accomplishing work objectives.
• Management of Data and Decisions : Gathering and using complex data in order to solve problems and make sound decisions.
• Gaining Commitment : Using appropriate interpersonal styles and techniques to gain acceptance of ideas or plans; modifying one’s own behavior to accommodate tasks, situations and individuals involved.
• Continuous Learning : Actively identifying new areas for learning; regularly creating and taking advantage of learning opportunities; using newly gained knowledge and skill on the job and learning through their application.
James Hardie is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, among other things, or as a qualified individual with a disability. Equal Employment Opportunity is the law.